Skip to main content

The Dream

Part 1 - The Dream

Bang! Bang! Bang!


Sally woke up with a start to find Buster knocking on her door. She lifted her sleepy head enough to take note of the time. It was 2:30 A.M. and Buster was now in her room with the light on looking as pale as a sheet.


“I had a dream,” he blurted out.


“I was dreaming too, big brother. At least I was until you scarred me to death. Whatever happened to running to Mom’s and Dad’s for comfort?”

“I’m too old for that, Sally. Besides, it wasn’t a nightmare. It was a dream.”

“Couldn’t it wait until morning?” Sally was sitting up now, but Buster was still standing over her.

“I needed to talk about it, “ Buster said. “I think God might have been talking to me or something weird like that. Last night before I went to sleep, I was reading a story about missionaries. When I prayed, I told the Lord that if He wanted me to be a missionary, He’d have to let me know.”

“Well, what’s so strange about that?”

“That was what the dream was about,” Buster said. “It was rather odd, not what I expected. I needed to tell you right away because it is about you too.”

Buster’s heart was still beating rapidly as he began to tell Sally the dream he had just experienced.

“In my dream,” he said, “we are all on a journey. We’re traveling down a road I have never seen before going somewhere we have never been before.”

“Is it scary?” Sally wanted all the details.

“A little,” Buster replied.

“Is it dark or light in your dream?”

“”It’s daytime, but there are some clouds in the sky and we can’t tell what the weather will be like.”

“Are we lost?”

“Not exactly lost,” Buster reflected. “We don’t really seem lost in the dream, but we’re not sure where the road leads either ... And yet, we do. That part is kind of confusing.”

“In the car,” Sally probed, “Are we happy or sad?”

“Happy, very happy. It was just so real ... It was like I had fallen asleep in the back seat and I woke up and we were riding along somewhere and that was real ... And then I woke up again and I was here and that was not as real. That’s what startled me.”

To be continued ... © 2003, Thomas B. Sims, all rights reserved

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mission Statements

The assignment in Sunday School last week was for each member to write a mission statement for his or her life? It has frankly been a struggle for some of the folks in Polecat Hollow. Uncle Hinky wondered if they meant up until that point or beyond. At 105 he wonders how many more changes might be in store for him. He figures that if he can hand out a little more advice here and there and if someone takes it, his days will not be in vain. He said that. He even wrote it down. But he didn't give much more thought to it. "It sounds good," he told Byron. "It's about what you'd expect an old goat to say." Inside, he figured no one would ask for advise and he'd be under no obligation to actually give it - certainly free of the responsibility if it didn't work out. Miss Prudence is not quite so old (but considerably older than anyone else she knows well) and is always looking forward with clarity and wonder. There are so many things she has not yet don

Falvius Flatulation

I can't remember exactly when Flavius moved to town, but I do remember that it was an awful shock at the time. Like so many immigrants to Polecat Hollow, he had lost his sense of smell through a series of misfortunes and had migrated to the hills to be among his "own kind." By, "his own kind," he would have described those with a high tolerance for odoriferous anomalies such as are frequent in our skunk affluent environment. But, he didn't really get it. He was as pretentious as his name with all the ironies that are normally associated with conceit. Flavius simply had the most uncanny ability to offend, belittle, and alienate with a tip of his nose skyward that the town had ever seen. He seemed to believe that he was better than everyone else and was intent upon presenting that image in every possible circumstance. What the townsfolk did not know from the beginning and what would bring out their eventual characteristic compassion was something about hi